Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Early Shutdown

What has the Bible has to say about abortion ?

Let's start with a short definition.
The terms used in the Bible are:
sha-kai (Heb) "suffer an abortion" also rendered in some translation "bereave" "miscarry" and "unfruitfullness".

Yoh-tse'te (Heb) is rendered "abortion", miscarriage" or "one that is premature".
Sometimes ne'phel (Heb) is used as well, which has the root from "fall".

It should be noted that the O.T. makes no distinction between abortion, miscarriage or being unfruifull, these terms are used in a broader and in an interchangeable sense, thus the context has to be considered.
i.e. 2 Ki 2:21
It is necessary to understand how these terms are used to avoid misinterpretation.

The issue is not whether a woman wants or requires an abortion.
There is no doubt that a woman can have legitimate reason for stopping the birth of her child.
Sometimes a woman might even have to decide between her life and the life of her child.
The issue is, a true Christian considers God's view before making a decision.

For an atheist or a Godless person this is not something that needs any consideration at all.
According to their own declaration they believe themselves to be the product of an random explosion. Morality or accountability in this case is only an abstract notion.
The reality for an atheist boils down to the question, why should one random chemical reaction decide what is right for another one ?

What is Gods view ?
To my knowledge there are only two O.T. text that address this "alleged" offence directly, its seriousness and it's penalty.
One is Ex 21: 22-25

This scripture clearly shows that God's law protected the life of the unborn not only from criminal (unlawful) abortion but even from violence perpetrated against a pregnant woman causing a miscarriage.
The judgment could be similar to a murder, the death penalty.

The other is Num 35:22-24
There it adresess the degree of deliberateness and the circumstances before a judgement is rendered, keeping in mind the seriousness of loosing a life.

It is worth noticing that the Bible refers to an embryo as a "child". (Ec 9:3) This is quite a contrast to the modern so-called "scientific" view that the unborn are not humans.

Whatever our view might be it is un-contestable that if a seed is destroyed it can never grow to be a tree, not because it didn't have the potential but because it was taken from him.
If we destroy the unborn we destroy his ability to grow to maturity and his potential to ever prove himself.

Despite woman lib's propaganda an embryo is not her body, it is the developing body of another person.
She has the privilege from God, of protecting it until it matures.
A mother should be the very last person who would want to destroy it.

I was surprised at the overwhelming abundance of argument against this heinous crime. I hope that less self-absorbed mothers to-be will consider them before ending her child's life.

Here I'm mentioning the only one that a Christian needs.
God considers it murder !

Ex 21: 22-25

Num 35:22-24

Top Bottom