Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jerusalem, why Special ?

Jerusalem why Special ?

This city is significant because it is the only city on earth that Jahweh God has placed His name upon.
1 King 11:36
It is also God's figurative residence.
Ps 132:13,14.
Another designation is "the throne of Jehovah". Jer 3:17.

The Apostle Paul makes reference to two Jerusalems,
the earthly and the spiritual Jerusalem.

Earthly Jerusalem is in slavery, it corresponds antitytiplically to Hagar the slave woman.
Whereas Sarah is the free woman and is typically the Jerusalem above.
Gal 4:25,26

Before Jesus removed the obligation to follow the Mosaic law, earthly Jerusalem represented the seat of Divine Government.
By fulfilling the O.T. Jesus also removed the "slavery" associated with it, this started the possibility of being free.
"the truth shall make you free." [Joh 8:32]

Free from what ?
The context shows that it was free from following man, seeing that the Pharisees were slaves to their traditions (Joh 8:33), but also it means free from following written religious laws.

Does any of this affect Christians today ?

Consider this:
If earthy Jerusalem is anti-tipically slavery to the O.T. and the acceptance of following the decrees of man.
On the other hand...
Jerusalem above means freedom of religious man made requirements.

Who do I belong to ?....when I am following the requirements of clerics by being member of a denomination ? Am I taking advantage of the invitation to be free ?

Does my affiliation affect my standing of belonging to the Jerusalem above ?

Keeping in mind that some religious institutions let it's members pretty much do what they want.
For instance being a mass murderer will not get a person excommunicated from some mainstream church, whereas going against the opinion of the legislative body of a Christian sect could rapidly be followed by banishment.

Regardless, the question remains, am I willingly choosing the religious jurisdiction of man or accepting only Christ as my head ?

This is a question only we can answer, that's the beauty of being free, no one can tell us what to do, except Christ, (assuming a person has accepted Him).

Nonetheless I think it's important to consider the implications.

Viking

Legendary
Founder
The god of the burning bush? Asking for a friend. Skol!

Last edited:
Top Bottom